Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Expanding Ripples

My earliest memory of an environmental disaster caused by oil spill is of Exxon Valdez . As a young school boy, I remember seeing news footage of dead animals washed ashore murky oil stained beaches...Birds with feathers drenched in sticky, sooty, crude petroleum struggling to take off. It made me very sad and somewhat angry and I could not fathom or express why?
Decades later, similar horrific accidents continue to be repeated all over again...in different places, with different nomenclature; but bearing chillingly similar tragic outcome!
As Humans, the things we do to each other in the name of petty power struggles is despicable enough...but the havoc we wreak on Nature is absolutely unforgivable!
After all, Nature is the very life-force that sustains and nourishes everything on this planet. What are we going to do with mere inflated statistics of profits and growth, when there is no ecosystem to support us? Fancy numbers and greed cannot sustain our existence, but a sense of responsibility and harmony while harnessing natural resources can.
We have the technological expertise for space stations, nuclear reactors, microchips, supersonic jets, touchscreen gadgets...but still, we are incapable of fixing a leaky oil well...complacently leaving it to cause mayhem on marine ecology... for weeks!
Looking at the pictures of damage inflicted by Deepwater Horizon disaster (Yes! we are in deep waters and the horizon seems a bit too far now) is really heartbreaking...But the brave efforts of those involved in its containment and clean up, is truly commendable and so are the inspired gestures of artists worldwide contributing to this remarkable ripple started by Kelly Light.
The images appearing in this post are my little contribution towards expanding this ripple. The 2 cartoons are a play on this week's IF theme and the 4 postcard sketches are of Least Tern - one of the many species of marine ecology to be adversely impacted by the oil spill.
Prints of each image (6" x 4") are available for a contribution of $10...for further details visit here. Even the smallest ripple can make a real difference...For instance, it might buy the detergent & solvent needed to clean the feathers of a Pelican or Tern and restore flight!
Thank You!

42 comments:

Nina Seven N7 said...

well done and well said.

Rakesh Vanamali said...

Wonderful! I do remember the tragedy created as a result of the Exxon ship! What appalls me is that these guys are always being given a big leash! Is this purely because oil is involved? Surely, oil isn't as important as water?

knallbeige said...

Die Bilder sind großartig! Ich liebe deinen Stil!

Jmontiel said...

Great work!!!

Nicky Linzey said...

I couldn't agree more. The bird sketches are just wonderful.

Joy Steuerwald said...

These are all so wonderful!

AtelierBrigitte said...

They all are so wonderful!!

Shirley said...

OH! What a wonderful post..well said, and so beautifully illustrated. It breaks my heart, too, to see photos of what is happening in the Gulf. This will impact our future generations, no doubt. Kudos to you for your efforts in the cause for relief to those affected.

Gavin Goo said...

Wonderful post justdoodleit :) Appreciate your insight and these beautiful illustrations.

I love the whale illustration with the oil spurting out from it! That is an AWESOME ANALOGY!!!


Really well said and done my friend!

Megan Coyle said...

What a great post - and your illustrations are doing an excellent job of calling attention to an environmental disaster.

Ann Marie DiVecchia said...

Great post and work! You have made a beautiful contribution!!

Felipe H. Navarro said...

Great post and illos!!

Cheers!!

Anonymous said...

Beautifully drawn and beautifully stated. These are wonderful contributions.

MrBibleHead said...

Great illustrations and great points in your wise and compassionate comments.

whiteoctopus said...

Wonderful work! I was young when the Exxon tragedy occurred, but not too young to understand the effects that it would have on the environment. Oil is not worth the destruction of an entire ecosystem!

Florencia Bini said...

I wish you the best of luck on this proyect and congratulations!!!!
All the illustrations look lovely, amazing birds.
Saludos :)

Loni Edwards said...

Lovely illustrations! Great job!

Amanda Baeza said...

I feel increasingly annoyed with the damned oil!!! (sweet drawings!)

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

My heart aches for all that is happening since this oil mess. This whole thing is one hot mess. On to more happier things like your fabulous illustration. You make it look so easy and I know it's not. Your line,your line, your line work is always amazing! Great job!

Lori ann said...

What a beautifully written post and equally beautiful illustrations. My heart breaks for the sealife and birdlife, all the ocean and the life in it involved in this spill. I like what you said about where our money may go.
I am the lucky new owner of one one of your gorgeous tern prints.
Thank you so much,
lori

Jane Grant Tentas said...

I love the views of the least terns. It's frightening to think about all the birds that migrate through and live in the affected areas.

Cathy said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog, which I very much enjoyed, and I found this a very poignant, moving post. Love the illos, too!

michael robertson said...

sorry I have been so scarce with my comments lately. your words, like your artwork, are so beautiful and eloquent. my heart aches over this whole situation and it's wonderful that you are using your talent to help remedy this horrible mess. thanks

I will look into this site and hopefully be able to contribute a piece or two.

June said...

The sight of any creature suffering due to a careless act of humankind, is offensive and disgusting.
Thank you for donating your lovely work to help with the Ripple, and for raising awareness.

sruble said...

I really love the art you've been doing for the ripple sketches project!

Stephanie
http://www.sruble.com/blog

Amy C said...

such wonderful images and so well said

roberto M. said...

Your blog is very interesting. Thanks for stopping by mine, I do appreciate your intelligent commentary.

Alexiev said...

Great images... beatifull animals... Fantastic steel...

Best wishes from Buenos Aires...

http://www.alexiev.com.ar

Proyectos - Illustrations

Alexiev Store - venta de originales

justdoodleit said...

A big, heartfelt thanks for your support and encouragement everyone. Also, my compliments to all contributing artists and patrons who've cast their pebbles into this ripple!

>Rakesh,
Learning from past mistakes has not be one of the strong points of humankind in recent times.

>Christina,
vielen Dank!

>Gavin,
Oil-covered whales, turtles and marine birds are a fairly common, but striking visual analogy, for this kind of mess!

>Sean,
Great to see you here and I loved your superb set for this cause!

>whiteoctopus,
In the era before internet, global events seemed a bit far away :)
Oil is only worth the value we attach to it and somehow the economic priorities are skewed.

>Lori,
Thank you for your contribution! The tern print is headed home ;)

>Jane,
The long term impact of such disasters is far more frightening than what is visible. It affects the ecological continuum for decades.

>Michael,
Great to see you back my friend and I'm sure your awesome contributions will be sold in no time :)

>sruble,
I loved your acrylic works!

>AmyC,
Welcome back, hope your arm is in good shape now!

>Roberto,
>Alexiev,
Gracias!

Bella Sinclair said...

Wonderful and moving pieces, all of them. Your birds are so graceful and free. May they be that way again soon.

I was going to leave a little rhyme, but it seemed too flippant, given the topic.

Carmen Saldaña said...

Beautiful illos, and wise words.
I´m really sorry for this tragedy, it´s terrible :-(

Bjornik said...

I think this is the first time I've read something definitive about you, that you're a man!haha Great illustrations as always!:)

voz said...

Nice. Well expressed, and the images are at once lovely and sad. Humans do such incredible things with their great big brains. Sadly, many of them are in the name of greed. It's uplifting to see people put their big brains to use for beauty instead.

justdoodleit said...

>Bella,
Birds unable to fly does make a poignant metaphor for all such tragedies.

>Carmen,
Gracias!

>Björnik,
Working on it, to be a bit better!

>Voz,
Definitely some wisdom in that expression "Beauty Saves!"

Unknown said...

What a truly amazing post...thanks for introducing me to Ripple and sharing information to connect people to creative ways of trying to help solve this problem. One person can start a ripple and you've just done that for me!! Thanks and as always I love your art!!

Catilustre said...

I agree!!
Superb entry and pictures!
hope one day we will be a sustanable and nature-friendly Humanity. ( i cant say all in english! sorry!)

Lori ann said...

Your card arrived. I immediatly looked for a return address or email but couldn't find one. I had to come back here to thank you.

I am so thrilled, your art is not only in the cards you sent, but on the envelope, in your handwriting, the beautiful bird near the stamps (love them both). I hope my thanks reaches you and I wish you had left an address, because i really would like to send some seaglass your way. If you'd like.

Thank you again, very much, your cards are in a good home.

lori

justdoodleit said...

>ModernGirl,
You should check out the original ripple sketches blog...lot of coolness for a noble cause!

>CATI,
True...seems unlikely in our lifetime though!

>Lori,
So glad to hear that you received the cards and thanks for all your kind words. I know those Terns are in good hands now :)

Gina Perry said...

Can I second Lori's comments? Your lovely cards, note, and envelope were such a joy to receive in the mail. Thank you, I will enjoy having your terns in my home.

Gina Perry said...

p.s. I just blogged about your cards, here:
http://ginaperry.typepad.com/the_pineapple_diary/

justdoodleit said...

>Gina,
Thanks, that's so kind of you.Btw, I really loved your Pelican and Egret!

R.Dress said...

Wow I love these birds!

© 2008 - 2018 All rights reserved
The contents of this blog is subject to copyright and should not be reproduced without prior consent.--