
The Concorde was a pioneer of supersonic airliner travel.
NOTE: Growing up, as a high school boy, I was very fascinated by this technological marvel. I used to pore over encyclopedia and magazine articles related to this airplane and had resolved that when I take a transatlantic flight, I'd save up enough to fly on this at least once...But the irony is - Concorde, designed and built years before I was born, was retired from service while I was still in college. *sigh* Now, just that transatlantic flight remains.


23 comments:
Nice idea + nice illo! I really like the geese flying with the Concorde. Happy New Year!
Another Great one ! :D
Happy New Year my friend! :)
Looking forward to see more of your lovely works in the New Year! :D
My son was in complete disbelief when he realized they stopped flying the concorde. It was as if someone told him they stopped making candy.
:(
Happy new Year! I'm looking forward to seeing your new work in 2010!
Fantastic illustration! My father swore he would ride the Concorde..and right before the year he planned to, they retired it. So I remember his pain, and now to read of yours, this amazing vessel touched a lot of hearts. Always great to see what you've illustrated. Happy New Year, my friend!
This illo is wonderful, really, i mean it, but dunno why it makes me sad a bit, reminds me of someone.
Anyway, you did another fab one... i enjoy the little note too, i think it's so thoughtful...
Wishing you a happy new year, ok.
ps: meet me in the sky with diamonds.
ps2: yes they're listening to The Beatles, they love The Beatles.
x
Hello there,
Nice illustrations as usual!
And it's really interesting topic.
But, hey, in terms of "pioneer" Concord was the second (first flight in 1969). TU-144 from Russia was the first one (1968). But it's true that Concord was introduced to the public passenger service (1976) earlier than TU-144 (1977). TU-144 had a couple of design advantages, but due to some major technical safety problems and too small market was discontinued in 1978.
Later, NASA had been using a seriously modified Russian TU-144LL from 1995 to 1999 in their ultra sonic flight research program.
>Boris,
Nice to hear from you and appreciate your input.
I'm very much aware of Tupolev Tu-144 and its accomplishments.It was conceived in 1962, two years after Concorde (1960), but managed to have an earlier test flight.
Owing to its safety record and the secrecy of then USSR regime, it never flew any major international routes and was unable to capture popular imagination of the airline traveler. In that aspect, Concord is indisputably a pioneer. It changed the way people looked at supersonic jet travel and became a cultural icon.
Being a big fan of Russian aviation myself, I feel that Russian civilian planes were always overshadowed by their more illustrious military counterparts.
your aircraft and birds are always wonderfully drawn, and they go so well with each other. Have a very happy new year!
This is hardly a doodle! Very, very nice!
Hello:), just found your blog...I've been enjoying searching back through your posts. You've had lots of good IF ideas! And your illustrations are very expressive. Besides that, I find your "Notes" interesting reading.
You always manage to take my breathe away with each post! You are just so filled to the brim with talent and creativity!! I wish you a wonderful and Happy New Year!!!! Be safe, but have fun!! Hugs
Simply gorgeous!...I love the gracefulness you convey in both the plane and the flamingos. Happy new year!
Oooh, nice one!!! I never flew it either. Never rode the bullet train while in Japan, either. But friends who did say it didn't seem all that impressive from the inside. I'd like to think that a Concorde flight probably wouldn't have felt any different, either. Shorter, yes. Different, no. That's what I'd like to believe, anyway. You know, to make myself feel better. That and the fact that I saved a boatload of money.
But I ramble.
Hey! Have a great NEW YEAR!
HAPPY nEW yEAR!!!! dEAR friend!!!
Say me please what mail I need to received from you???? :)
Wowwww!!! I am very interested IF!!! But from there you know my real adress!?????
Great drawing.
And happy new year to you too!
Dear!!! How is your name????
But, what name you write on your envelope- Jeana??? or Jenea??? :)
Really like the skinny plane!
I wish you a happy new year!!!!!!!
The best of luck for this year and for all your proyects!!!
saludos:)
Fantastic drawing! Everything.
Thanks for all the support and great comments folks! New Year Greetings to you all :)
>voz,
The issue is just as serious!
>Shirley,
Concorde was an inspiring piece of engineering. A rare blend of awesome technology, form and functionality.
>Jill,
Welcome to my blog :)
>Vanessa,
You are too kind.
>Bella,
The plane flew so fast that you could watch the sun set in London, hop on a BA Concorde, and then watch it set in New York again...one could arrive at JFK about an hour earlier than they left Heathrow...It is one of a kind experience. I definitely plan to ride the Shinkansen someday.
>Heidi,
For a skinny frame it guzzled a lot of fuel.
Feliz 2010 para tí justdoodleit!
uh! strange story about peacock feathers.... :-) and vwey nice new sketches!
Post a Comment