Sunday, September 6, 2009

IF : Strong

The really strong ones stand up for what they believe in.
NOTE: Initially I had thought of a humorous twist based on this iconic 1989 scene for my ongoing military series...But this is such a poignant image with such immense power of suggestion...So I decided to make this fan-art version instead of a spoof.

34 comments:

Unknown said...

that's beautiful.

Vanessa Brantley Newton said...

So very true and great illustration. I really loved this. Such a strong piece. Great idea!

Anonymous said...

so powerful! what a great interpretation of the word strong.

Carol said...

Excellent interpretation of that iconic image that really conveys the word "strong"!

thedoodlegirl said...

Oh wow. Powerful. Nice work!

linda said...

So very true...a bit scary. Very appropriate for the theme...

K Spoering said...

I almost didn't see the strong one - terrific! And True.

Laurel Neustadter said...

Great illustration. It is so true!

Jason Curtis said...

A powerful moment in history, I can still remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when this happened.

Great piece.

Amy C said...

You have chosen the perfect idea for 'strong' this is so beautifully drawn and I love that you included his plastic shopping bag - fantastic work.

Cathy said...

I agree with you about some events just being beyond the spoof - and this piece is all the more effective because your work IS so amusing!

Wonderful stuff!

MrBibleHead said...

Great idea. Talk about strong and courageous. It is a stand that will live in infamy. Great detail on those tanks. Oh and "tanks" for stopping by.

knallbeige said...

wow sehr gut gemacht!

AdamFF said...

Brilliant idea for your drawing, and with your confident use of colour and graphical style, I wouldnt be surprised to see this as Pick of the Week next week.

Adam Foster-Fahy
www.AdamFF.com

Anonymous said...

yup, the story is really strong and the illustration is even stronger! great piece you got here! Keep up the great work!

Nina Seven N7 said...

that's a powerful image!

Chris Kennett said...

Handled with care and respect. Nice job.

Valerie Lorimer said...

Love your words and illo! Very strong piece.

ELLA ELVIANA said...

one of the most memorable moment in history. great!

perezvila™ said...

Not only you did a beautiful drawing, you also made a good desition!

best regards!!

fashion fucsia said...

Great idea, this scene is strong and heavy!
^_^

Nicky Linzey said...

Very true, great illustration for the theme.

lil kim said...

ooh. very strong illo!

Roger Simó said...

A good decision. It's amazing what people can do in order to defend their rights, and it's amazing what people can do in order to steal these rights...
Great work.

MIKE said...

very cool. interesting take

voz said...

Just super. Very nicely handled. It's such a difficult historical moment.

Asja said...

yes, this is such a powerful image and you an amazing job illustrating it.

natasha said...

Really fantastic.

Dream Painter said...

it is so entertaining, beautiful composition as well.

Marcus Hadlock said...

This is why China Blocks blogger.... its sad. Great drawing!

Zari said...

It's such a strong illustration! great job!

Nessa Dee said...

So powerful...what a wonderful illustration and example of true strength.

Emily said...

Poignant... and nicely illustrated!

justdoodleit said...

Thank you all for leaving behind such positive and wonderful comments. All the credit here goes to the real heroes - the "Tank Man" and the photographer who captured this amazing moment.

It is heartening to see that this image still evokes such powerful responses.

>Jason,
I was a school kid and I knew that this image was special even if I didn't fully understand it then.

>AmyC,
The shopping bag is an important component that adds to his 'common man' status. Yet, what he did was remarkably uncommon. Also, one can interpret a communism vs capitalism symbolism when you look at the grocery bag in context of those tanks.

>Cathy,
>perezvila,
True. Some moments are beyond the realm of spoof & even humor.

>Roger,
Nice observation. The forces seem equal and opposite. But ultimately freedom always outweighs tyranny and control.

>Marcus,
That underlines the power of the image and the moment.

© 2008 - 2018 All rights reserved
The contents of this blog is subject to copyright and should not be reproduced without prior consent.--