Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sketchbook Sunday - 4

I took a train to a nearby temple-town this Sunday. These are ancient towns (usually small, picturesque in setting and often situated by the banks of a river) principally based around a temple and have a bit of mythology about their origin as well. A big surprise about this journey was the railway ticket - The fare was only a meager 8 Rupees (approx 20 US cents) for a round trip totaling 46 kilometers!
Although my plan was to do a series of elaborate sketches depicting the temple complex, chariots and other intricate carvings...the beautiful sunshine and gentle currents ensured that I spent more time by the riverside than in town. As cattle are considered sacred in India, the town also had its fair share of holy cows squatting at important junctions.

24 comments:

Jason Curtis said...

Great sketches/watercolors!!

Jill said...

Ahhh, that sounds wonderful...How I would love to make such a trip! It is a pleasure to see your sketches...and imagine :)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the ink/line work of these and how you keep the color simple in watercolor. You need to make a whole book of these. I'm serious. It would sell.

Tomás Serrano said...

I´d like painting these temples. I´d like you share more work.

Marianne M said...

Wow, these are really great sketches. Lovely detail.

R.Dress said...

I love the balance and harmony in this piece.

Shirley said...

Lovely, lovely work! I think Frank is right..you could completely have a wonderful travel book of the country. Great imagery and I really like your color washes in these..of course along with your deft linework.

yoon see said...

Love to peep into your sketchbook!
I am feeling lazy, having the urge for a short break. I especially love the cows sitting down observing the calmness.

Wish I could be there!

Take care and happt travelling and sketching!

Nicky Linzey said...

I just love the way you draw, with such an easy style. I'm envious!

Cally Johnson-Isaacs said...

Ooooo i love your sketches! Really great :)

Asja said...

Seems like you had a wonderful journey! I like all you sketches and those of temple got most of my attention.

rachel stoleru haim said...

Great work! Very inspiring, you make it look so easy :)

sheree boyd said...

your sketches are so beautiful! am looking forward to more sketchbook sundays!!!

voz said...

Wow. Sounds lovely. Looks lovely too!

You weren't sitting on the tracks while that train was approaching, were you? I mean, I know you're a dedicated artist and all... Should I send you a crash helmet?

illustration poetry said...

i'd love to take a train with u my talented friend someday so you can show me pretty things like on your sketchbook...

xxoo

Roger Simó said...

Really beautiful...

Deepa Gopal said...

Love the sketches...very intricate!
Seems like you get to travel a lot..wonderful to capture such moments thru art.

Eugen Caitaz said...

I am agree with all who write this good comments, you are the best!!!
Сows is so original!!!

Emily said...

This sounds so wonderful! Cheap train fare, sunshine and lovely views... sigh!

michael robertson said...

exquisite!...the simplicity of line in the cattle sketch is amazing

Moro Rogers said...

Very very cool!

ArtSparker said...

the train is lovely, as are the sketches of the temples.

Juan Carlos Partidas said...

Do you call them doodles? They look like Great Illustrations to me. :)
Congratulations.

justdoodleit said...

Thanks for all lovely comments dear folks!

>Frank,
Thanks, that's very encouraging man!

>Tomas,
Soon.

>Nicky,
I love your patterns and sense of color.

>Rachel,
It is easy, there's so much magic all around...toughest part is to find time to savour it all :)

>voz,
Thanks for the offer...as of now, my bike helmet is doing the job ;)

>Mita,
Surely and what a trip it will be :)

>Deepa,
Not much actually, but I take time out to recharge and get inspired.

>Juan,
Thanks! They are quick sketches...illos take a lot more time for me.

© 2008 - 2018 All rights reserved
The contents of this blog is subject to copyright and should not be reproduced without prior consent.--