Monday, February 8, 2010

Sketchbook Sunday - 6

As a weekend getaway, I took a train to Thanjavur - the ancient capital of the Chola Dynasty. (The overnight journey was quiet...most passengers were lost in their private worlds as the train chugged along the picturesque paddy fields of Tamil Nadu.) Thanjavur, a small town in southern India, rose to great prominence as the power center of the Chola Empire during the 10th century. At that time, when much of the northern region of the Indian subcontinent was undergoing irreversible transformation owing to invasions from Central Asia; here in the South, a great empire arose and the native culture, in its cyclic tradition , saw a powerful rebirth.
The Cholas left behind a rich legacy of art & culture spread across a wide geographic region encompassing most of southern India, parts of Sri Lanka, Burma, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, and Cambodia. The most famous of all Chola architecture is the breathtakingly beautiful Brihadisvara temple. Currently a UNESCO World Heritage Site, this masterpiece in temple building was undertaken by RajaRaja Chola-I.
The three days I spent in this exquisite temple complex was full of sheer amazement and inspiration. Built using granite stones, the temple - a magnificent feat of engineering and sculpting, is dedicated to Shiva. A set of imposing gateways lead to the a large courtyard, at the center of which lies the main temple with its ornate tower rising to an impressive 63 meters. The place exudes enormous energy and tranquility. Since the traditional ritual practices are continued in the main temple even to this day, this millennium old structure seems very much alive, unlike most archaeological sites which are often soaked in a sense of a bygone era.
Smaller shrines of the other deities - mostly members Shiva's family like Ganesha, Kartikeya, Parvati, Nandi can be found around the main temple.
The walls of the entire structure are all covered with thousands of intricate carvings depicting - gods, demons, mythical creatures, kings, warriors, dancers and damsels, stories from religious scriptures, poems, festivities, events in lives of the kings, battles and conquests...The lyrical quality of the sculptures, their sense of form and design was so very compelling that I decided to sketch more elaborately than my usual doodle style.
Observing and attempting a catch a fair likeness in mere drawings was an exercise in patience and made me deeply aware and appreciative of the enormity of struggle and persistence of all those artisans who undertook the mammoth task of creating this temple. Its glory remains undiminished even after a thousand years and makes me wonder about the times we live in now. Then was a time, when artists were audacious enough to contemplate the eternal through their work...now is a time when art has become a commodity whose worth is decided by auctioneer's mallet...now is also the time where Eternity is a designer perfume and Infinity a luxury car!
One of the most enjoyable experiences of this trip was my interaction with school kids and totally kind strangers. As I sat to sketch, a crowd of curious onlookers (mostly school kids who often come here on excursions and sightseeing tourists) would invariably gather around and encourage me with their comments, regale with their witty anecdotes, amuse with their unusual observations... The continuous sketching and interaction with a lot of interesting new people not only improved my sparse Tamil... but was such fun that, days just flew by and I had to finally bid adieu. There's enough inspiration and awesomeness in this place to fill scores of sketchbook pages and needless to say, I'll visit again someday.

31 comments:

Asja said...

thank you for sharing your beautiful sketches and the beautiful and very interesting and educational story behind them. i really enjoyed reading it.

Nicky Linzey said...

Wow, yes I agree with Asja, this was so enjoyable to read and your intricate drawings - amazing. Thanks also for noticing I was still in January, not February!

Parv Kaushik said...

i,m a fan of your art!! lovely pieces of art!! very amazing!! i'm enjoying it way too much.. u have immense talent! keep thm coming !!

Shirley said...

Oh my goodness, such a RICH post both visually and with your words and thoughts. I can only imagine all of the kind comments you had experienced those days while sketching your wonderful pieces. I especially enjoy the fine detail work of the building from the side with a wash of color behind. Your sepia-toned pieces are fantastic, too. I, too, think about the fleeting feeling I have about current trends in art. It's an interesting point to bring up! Always great to visit and see your Sunday sketches.

Brad said...

wonderful inspiring story and fantastic sketches! thanks so much for sharing this experience, makes me smile!

Unknown said...

it's vanessa from oohlaladesignstudio. Just using another laptop right now he he he. What fabulousness. It's wonderful work. I love your style. It's just wonderful.
Great work.

Jill said...

Well written! Your thoughts comparing past and present culture are very interesting and true. And the fact that you could converse with people while sketching subjects so complex gives a hint about your character. It seems that you have a good amount of patience and equanimity, or that you at least try to (I confess that I get very self-conscious and grouchy if a stranger approaches me while I'm working, and perhaps I should reconsider that attitude).

Tomás Serrano said...

Wow... You are an expert temples´ draftsman too.

Roger Simó said...

Interesting (and beatiful) sketches!

illustration poetry said...

dunno why, i always enjoy reading your sketchbook sunday project (aside from those beautiful sketches of course...), makes me want to do traveling!
reading your blog is like traveling without moving :)))
u travel a lot, i guess...

xx

Bella Sinclair said...

You have me floored. What an amazing series of posts. I am mesmerized. I find your travels fascinating, and I think I'd much rather sightsee through your beautiful sketches. Your intricate sketches of the temples and its details are incredible. I had to hold my breath, they were so amazing! Without a doubt, keeping an illustrated journal of your adventures is much more memorable than mere photographs.

BAHAHA to Batman, too!!

Abz said...

Very well done!

michael robertson said...

I'm speechless... you've truly outdone yourself. unbelievable stuff!

Amy C said...

wow what a beautiful post and I loved reading all of the history - ahhh one day I will visit there too

Dave said...

Wonderful post!Amazing drawings and a great read.Thanks for sharing.

Kay Aker said...

I'm awestruck! Thanks so much for sharing these exquisitee sketches!

voz said...

Awesome in the truest sense of the word -- both the drawings and the subjects. Great stuff as always, I love reading your travelogue.

ELLA ELVIANA said...

great sketches my friend! the details are amazing.

ArtSparker said...

Your architectural studies are marvels, and I like the man in his environment as well.

Deepa Gopal said...

Stunning work!
So intricate and detailed...there is that likeness as I was able to makeout that its Brihadeeshwara temple. I've visited this gorgeous place some years before. I was so captivated by its beauty that I have this desire to visit the place as soon as I get another chance.

This temple was even featured in Discovery Science. They were wondering how the shikhara, the round top, was placed there since its a single boulder and weighed several tons. Even the huge Nandi was carved in single stone itseems.

It surely is a magical place! Wonder how those artisans cameout with such magnificient structures without any of these modern amenities at their disposal.

Anyways, Happy Travelling!

Anonymous said...

These ink and water color sketches are amazing. I lobe the contrast of heavy detail with the simpler back grounds and clouds. Really cool stuff.

Gavin Goo said...

Hi justdoodleit, these are really GREAT! The details in these sketches are excellent! Great work!

And I enjoyed your sharing of these great architectures.

Jason Curtis said...

Absolutely beautiful work.

Eugen Caitaz said...

Your work don't have price! It's the best Traditional Artwork what I have seen ever, really! Thank you, that You can explorer and discover for all of us so beautiful place!
Friend, but I am very interested - your drawing, is just for your spirit or maybe you work somewhere!!!? ;)

Anonymous said...

I like the first one!

Paras said...

Really dude Hats off to u.....really nice piece of work

Dream Painter said...

I really admire people who can come out so amazing details. Your sketches are full of wonderful details, must need great patience.

Nicola said...

This is a truly amazing post, not only for the beautiful sketches, but also for the insight into the ancient culture of India and the history of the various invasions. Yes, the north had quite a time then. Intriguing to contemplate the north and the south, and how geography shaped the evolution of their great spiritual culture.
Great to hear about your interfacing with the pilgrims, tourists, and school children as you created.

justdoodleit said...

Sorry for delay in replying folks...All your comments are much appreciated!

>Asja,
>Nicky,
Glad you did!

>Parv,
Thanks man...more such posts soon!

>Shirley,
Thanks so much for the compliments and glad you found the post thoughtful.

>Brad,
>VBN,
>Abz,
:)

>Jill,
Initially, while sketching outdoors I too was uneasy with people gathering to watch...it is a lot more fun if you break the ice with them...they are no longer observing you, but try to get involved what you are observing.

>Tomas,
Hahaha...that's an interesting job description, in the ancient world.

>mita,
I enjoy travelling, but haven't been doing it as much as I'd love to. These days my trips are only in the mind :)

>Bella,
Illustration is fun and has more thoughts and memories (because of the process of creating it) than a quick photo.

>Michael,
The place and energy is unbelievable...During my next visit, I'll draw more interesting stuff.

>Amy,
You should. India is much more than that eye candy - Taj Mahal.

>Dave,
>Roger,
Gracias Amigos!

>Kay,
>Voz,
>Enigma,
Thanks :)

>Deepa,
Yes Deepa, all that you say about this awesome place is true...I too look forward to many more visits.

>Frank,
I didn't have much time to use many colors...kept it simple.

>Gavin,
>Jason,
Thank you boys!

>ArtSpark,
Susan, Glad you liked the train doodle as well :)

>Jenea,
My travel sketches are just for my own personal whim...Maybe I'll make some prints of them someday!

>Paras,
>MissCarole,
Thanks for the visit.

>DreamPainter,
Well, I really enjoy spending time at such places.

>Nicola,
Thanks so much for your interest and understanding of the spiritual empire, that is Indian civilization.

Vladimir Bursać said...

Wonderful!
You bring to us all beauties of India, spiritual colossus and ancient cradle of many contemporary cultures.

Bjornik said...

I really enjoyed looking at these architectural perspectives. How I wish I could someday visit India.:)

© 2008 - 2018 All rights reserved
The contents of this blog is subject to copyright and should not be reproduced without prior consent.--